Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Joys of Moving

Warning: If you have emotional scars from moving, the following blog may be hard to read.  You may just want to read an article about unicorns and rainbows.  Some things are best to be left forgotten. Like moving memories. 

Moving is hard.  There is no getting around it.  No matter how many times you have done it- or how well you plan ahead, something is bound to not go right. We have moved 8 times in the 15 years we have been married.  The one thing I have learned is to plan on things going wrong- it's just part of the territory.  Not fun. It was no different when we moved from Florida to Hermiston. 
We were given a moving budget with Darren's new job.  We figured if we packed the truck ourselves we could have the cars transported and then we could fly to Utah.  Get our cars, and then drive up to Hermiston.
My mom came to Florida to help- and Darren and I had been getting ready for months. The day we got back from our cruise we were packing like crazy. We used an ABF and packed the truck ourselves.  I was so proud of myself when we only used 21 feet!  Quite different when I had moved to Tennessee from Rigby we used 2 trucks! So we have sold 60% of our belongings since we lived in Tennessee. That's right, I have sold 60% of all my cool things.  That's 8 yard sales  and what moving into a 1400 square foot townhouse will do to you.  Things went smoothly until our cars were supposed to be picked up to be transported to Utah the day we flew out.  I'm not going to go into all the gory details- but honestly it was a nightmare and they truck driver picked our cars up 4 days late.  That's right, not 4 hours late- 4 DAYS late.   It messed up our entire schedule, plus I got into a fight with the people moving into our unit because our cars were parked in the driveway of our townhouse that we were renting! They wanted to get in early and remodel and were mad my cars were there.   Hello, I paid rent their till the 15th so I can park my cars in the driveways if I darn well please!!  I was constantly on the phone with the HOA making sure our cars didn't get towed before the transportation company showed up.  And also on the phone with our neighbors who were kind enough to be shuffling our cars around so they wouldn't get towed.  And constantly calling the transportation company- who I would NEVER use again.  Thankfully my mom let us take her van up to Boise and Hermiston because Darren had to start work before our cars arrived in Utah.  My parents were sooo kind to drive both of our cars up to Boise, and then my dad brought Darren's car to Hermiston and drove back his van.  It was like a crazy car switcharoo!
Oh, and to top it off, I called ABF a couple of days before they were supposed to deliver our stuff  to our house in Hermiston and low and behold- our truck of stuff hadn't even left the port in Naples!!! What??!!! I about lost all control!!   Come to find out I needed to Pre-pay before they would ship it out! Well, That would have been nice to know a week ago!! I had specifically asked them numerous time about payment- and every time they said "you pay when it arrives at the destination."  Which is how it has worked when we used ABF previous times.  I have never had to prepay!  Anyways, I was livid.  So I had to reschedule the whole weekend of events to move in- the Elders Quorum and instead of moving in on Friday, we moved in on Monday. 
And we had to get a hotel, but what is another night in a hotel when you have been living out of suitcases for a month? It ended up being ok since the house needed a really good deep cleaning.  Darren cleaned the carpets on Saturday.  And Monday the kids and I wiped baseboards and cabinets.  And vacuumed.  The people before us had 2 big German Shepherds, and frequently watched other dogs and cats.  Even though they got the carpets professionally cleaned, there was still dog hair everywhere!! And the wall are all pretty dirty.  The whole house needs to be painted.  That's a blog for another day.  But in the end we made it and ended up with our cars here safe and sound.

All in All we are so happy to be here. 

Darren started work the day he got here.  He stayed in our house on a crash pad with a blanket.  When I got here we stayed in a hotel a couple of nights till our stuff got here.  Darren is loving his job.  It is exactly what he wanted.  
Well, now we are here and so happy.  I will post pictures of our house tomorrow:)

No comments:

Post a Comment