Day 3 was not so fun for me. We went Deep Sea Fishing. It was the #1 thing Paul wanted to do. And I have FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) so bad, I couldn't not go- what if they caught something huge and I missed out?? So we all went and Hans came and brought his 2 oldest girls. We started early- 5:30am to be precise. It was a beautiful morning and we all had high spirits. There was excitement in the air.
That's Honolulu behind us.
We were having a great time. Boating on the open water, beautiful day. We visited, laughed, and took in the fresh air.
Me- 27 weeks pregnant! Enjoying life:)
After about 3 hours of not catching anything and constantly rocking it
began looking like this. And then we started throwing up. Han's poor
girls were miserable. They both threw up a couple of times. I had
NEVER thrown up on a boat- but I just could not hold it in. I ran Port Side and puked my guts out- while being sprayed in the face
with salt water. It was not fun. And honestly quite embarrassing. It
kept coming and coming! I was glad it was just us on the boat. Throwing
up in front of people is not my favorite thing to do. I felt a little
better after that- but we were stuck on that miserable boat for another 3
hours!! I was only 1/2 way there. I'm getting sick just thinking about
it! I felt like I had just payed someone an enormous sum of money to
torture me for 6 hours. It was AWFUL!!!



 |
|
After about 3 hours we turned around empty handed for the 3 hour drive back. As we got about 20 min. from shore, we passed the "Last Chance Bouey" where you have to start taking your fishing lines into the boat. It was so hard to believe that with 6 fishing lines out in the water driving around in the ocean for 5 1/2 hours we didn't catch a thing! It was very disheartening. Right then one of the poles snagged and started to bend. We caught something! Paul ran to the line and started reeling it in. It was hard! So he turned it over to Hans. I took a turn and so did Darren. It was defiantly thrilling and fun to see what was on the end of the line.
 |
| As it got close to the side of the boat our captain hooked it and pulled it in. Then he hit it over the head with a wood club. He was fast! There was a lot of blood. And it was stinky. Not my favorite, but it was exciting and I was thrilled for Paul! I was so happy we were not going to be going home empty handed! That would have been the worst! |
Paul had bits of blood all over his face. He didn't mind a bit! We were thrilled! This fish is called a Wahoo. Most of the Wahoo in the U.S. market comes from Hawaii, where the fish is nicknamed “Ono,” the Hawaiian word for “delicious.”
 |
| YEAH!!!! |
 |
| Our captain cut up the delicious 19 pound Ono for us. We didn't want to take any home- so Hans got the meat. He made fish tacos with it the next day and said it was delicious! I hope it made up for his girls having such a miserable time! I was so happy to be back on land! Although I knew I would feel like I was rocking the rest of the day- which I did. The crazy thing is- I told Darren as sick as I was on that boat- on a scale of 1-10 it was a 4-5. Morning sickness is anywhere from 8-10. I would take seasickness over morning sickness any day. But I would rather not have either and I told Paul I am NEVER going deep sea fishing with him. Like ever. |
 |
| We had a short time before we needed to catch our flight to Kauai. So we went to eat lunch at the mall in Honolulu. It had a section that was all Japanese,. It was like literally being in Japan. Since Darren and Hans served their mission together in Japan it was extra special for them. We went to eat in the Japanese food court. So many yummy choices! I didn't really eat anything since I still felt sick from the boat. |
On the way out we passed a Japanese bakery, with all sorts of delicious
pastries. I bought like 1 of everything. It was the only things that
sounded good! We tried all the different treats in the car ride back to
the airport. Then we were off to Kauai!
I love these posts! It's so fun to see the pictures of the trip! And with that awesome picture of Darren and Paul holding the fish you would never know it was such a miserable time :)
ReplyDelete