Obedience Brings Blessings
Good morning brothers and sisters. I was asked to talk
today about how obedience can bring blessings in our everyday lives. Many
Prophets and Apostles have used obedience in the same way Lehi, Nephi, Sam, and
Sariah used the iron rod. Stick fast to obedience. Never stray away from
obedience. Even though things in our modern world can tempt us, We should
always be obedient. Even President Joseph F. Smith said, "Obedience is the
first law of Heaven." President Thomas S. Monson Shares one story in his
talk, Obedience Brings Blessings, that is Memorable... and yet comical. "When
I was growing up, each summer from early July until early September, my family
stayed at our cabin at Vivian Park in Provo
Canyon in Utah.
One of my best friends during those carefree days in
the canyon was Danny Larsen, whose family also owned a cabin at Vivian Park.
Each day he and I roamed this boy’s paradise, fishing in the stream and the
river, collecting rocks and other treasures, hiking, climbing, and simply
enjoying each minute of each hour of each day.
One morning Danny and I decided we wanted to have a
campfire that evening with all our canyon friends. We just needed to clear an
area in a nearby field where we could all gather. The June grass which covered
the field had become dry and prickly, making the field unsuitable for our
purposes. We began to pull at the tall grass, planning to clear a large,
circular area. We tugged and yanked with all our might, but all we could get
were small handfuls of the stubborn weeds. We knew this task would take the
entire day, and already our energy and enthusiasm were waning.
And then what I thought was the perfect solution came
into my eight-year-old mind. I said to Danny, “All we need is to set these
weeds on fire. We’ll just burn a circle in the weeds!” He readily
agreed, and I ran to our cabin to get a few matches.
Lest any of you think that at the tender age of eight
we were permitted to use matches, I want
to make it clear that both Danny and I were forbidden to use them without adult
supervision. Both of us had been warned repeatedly of the dangers of fire.
However, I knew where my family kept the matches, and we needed to clear that
field. Without so much as a second thought, I ran to our cabin and grabbed a few
matchsticks, making certain no one was watching. I hid them quickly in one of
my pockets.
Back to Danny I ran, excited that in my pocket I had
the solution to our problem. I recall thinking that the fire would burn only as
far as we wanted and then would somehow magically extinguish itself.
I struck a match on a rock and set the parched June
grass ablaze. It ignited as though it had been drenched in gasoline. At first
Danny and I were thrilled as we watched the weeds disappear, but it soon became
apparent that the fire was not about to go out on its own. We panicked as we
realized there was nothing we could do to stop it. The menacing flames began to
follow the wild grass up the mountainside, endangering the pine trees and
everything else in their path.
Finally we had no option but to run for help. Soon all
available men and women at Vivian Park were dashing back and forth with wet
burlap bags, beating at the flames in an attempt to extinguish them. After
several hours the last remaining embers were smothered. The ages-old pine trees
had been saved, as were the homes the flames would eventually have reached.
Danny and I learned several difficult but important
lessons that day—not the least of which was the importance of obedience."
Obedience is not used to tempt us or annoy us but to
ensure safety in us. I know that many if not all of us Latter Day Saint Members
in this room are tempted by evil, even the devil.
I am sure many prophets and apostles have been tempted
by Satin. Imagine the heartache of Abraham as he carried his only son onto an
alter to sacrifice him. Surely Horror must have attacked his body and how
tempted he was to take his son and leave. But just as Abraham's dagger was
about to swing forward, God's own voice told Abraham, "In thy seed shall
all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my
voice." Because of Abraham's obedience, all his kin were blessed. Imagine
Moses as he was commanded by the lord to return to his hated land were he was
raised and challenge the Pharaoh, one of the most powerful people at the time,
with a measly stick and the power of the lord that he had not yet found.
My mother has had an experience where her obedience
failed by the temptation of curiosity. On a warm July day, her family of 6 was
having a relaxing day at the pool.
Getting very hot and wanting to go for a swim, 5 year old Emily asked her
mother if she could take a dip in the pool. Her mother answered, "Yes, go
ahead and have fun. But don't go past the bottom step, you can't reach the bottom,
and you don't know how to swim" she warned. Young Emily didn't understand
why parents said such strange things. As Emily walked step by step deeper into
the pool, she felt het neck touch water as she reached the bottom step. Emily
wondered what mysteries and treasures waited at the bottom at the pool. She
wondered what would happen when she tried to swim to the magical 4 1/2 feet
sign just above the water. Curiosity overcame Emily as she decided to go down
one more step to the bottom of the pool.
As she stepped off the last step and pushed herself into the deep water
she went under water and realized, "I can't breath here!" As she was
under water she desperately tried to grab the side of the pool or put her foot
back on the last step. But all was in vain. After what seemed an eternity of
trying to get to the side she stopped trying. She looked at the distorted sky
as she sank to the bottom of the pool and thought, "I am going to
die". Suddenly, she felt an upward
rush as she was yanked out of the pool by her older sister, Laura. She doesn't
like water anymore. I know obedience can bring blessings in our latter days.
Stay obedient to the ten commandments, Tithing, Fast offering and Callings. I
say these things in our beloved Savior Jesus Christ, Amen
Great job Paul! You are wise beyond your years and super smart to boot! We are so proud of you! You will grow up to be a great man! Lots of Hugs and Kisses! Grandma Rita (and YES! I know I use exclamation points way too much!)
ReplyDelete