Monday, July 29, 2013

4th of July

Happy 4th of July!  We had a great 4th.  I think the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays.  No presents or gifts to buy.  It's a low stress, big fun holiday.  I love the carefree, fun attitude. I love hanging out with family and friends.  I  love the colors.  I love our county.  I love the unity.  I love the weather.  This 4th was no exception, the colors, fun, friends and weather were all wonderful.

I couldn't help but think that last year at this time I was visiting my family in Utah.  I ran in the Freedom Run in Provo and then hung out with my family and watched fireworks on the hill by Provo Canyon.  So many memories.  
This year I wanted to run in the Firecracker 5k in Naples.  I love running in races on holidays, it's always so fun!  Everyone is dressed up and it's just a fun atmosphere.  Darren had to work at 5 in the morning  so I had a dilemma of what to do with Gabe during the race.  I didn't want to ask anyone to watch him that early in the morning, so I decided to just take him with me and push him in the race.  It was a pain.  LOL ok if only I had put sparkly red, white and blue lights all over his stroller and then I would have felt less serious- but I wanted to get a good time!  And actually I did pretty well and was proud of myself- I ran it in 25 min and 16 seconds, which is a 8 min and 7 second mile-pushing a stroller while weaving through a thousand people.  Ok, only 918 people, but close.   That is really good for me- that is my best time by a minute!  There I just bragged about myself, hope you don't mind.  I just want my posterity to know how fast I was. Paul came with me cause he is my morning guy, and he ran the 1K.  It was fun for him.  Here is a picture after the race.

I love my Bob stroller!  I have put many, many miles on that thing and pushes great!  Doesn't Gabe look comfy?

Feeling great!
 After the race Paul and I went and put our beach chairs on the parade route.  The parade was going to start in about and hour and there were only 2 other chairs on the street.  That should have told me something.  Pretty much the most boring parade I have ever been to.  There was not 1 marching band or 1 float.  Seriously?!  No bagpipes!  The whole thing was Veterans and advertisements and a huge group of old men wearing hats that reminded me of the Freemasons. It was strange.   
Gabe was cute sitting in this chair, then getting out, then sitting, then walking up to people and then turning around and running back to me.  He was so much fun to watch, he was more entertaining than the parade. 

My kids were only there for the candy.



Gotta love the American Flag!  I love our country!


There was lots of candy thrown out.  One of my kids gave Gabe a sucker and that was the end.  All he wanted was more suckers!  My kids thought it was hilarious and just kept giving him suckers.  He had to have one in each hand! 

Gabe refuses to look at me when I am trying to take his picture.  It's like he knows or something.

Look at me!

Gabe!  Look at me!

GABE!!!

Yea!!




2 suckers! Sugar rush!
 Darren got off early so during the day we took naps, went swimming.  That night we had a party at our house and had friends bring appetizers.  It was fun.  Then we went over to Micah and Jillian's for some sweet fireworks!  

Me and my sweetie!  They had patriotic music playing in the background which was awesome.  It just totally set the right mood.



Oh yea! The weather was beautiful!  Not to hot and not to cold.

Micah lighting off fireworks.  He was like a kid in a candy store. 

Tess, Josyln, Joshua, and Liam


Megan, me and Jillian- I love these girls!

LOL and here is Mark (Megan's husband) cleaning up the fireworks. 
 We had such a great time.  It is nice to have such good friends.  And by the way, Mark (guy pictured above) and Darren are going to be in Tampa together for the next rotation.  Yes, Darren is going away for another month.  He leaves this Sunday.  We are sad, but it's not as far and not as long.  But I'm getting off track.  This is the end of our 4th of July.  It ended with a bang!

2 comments:

  1. Impressed that you 1. Ran the race 2. With Gabe 3. In such great time and 4. Looking so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily...you look fabulous and great job on the race! That little Gabe is such a cute with those giant brown eyes and blonde hair! Glad you enjoyed your holiday!

    ReplyDelete