Thursday, July 25, 2013

Darren's Birthday

Darren recently turned a big 36!  I bought a kayaking and lunch date in the Everglades off Groupon.  Darren works so hard and studies so much he hardly ever takes a break or relaxes anymore.  I can see it in his eyes - no matter what we do I can tell he is thinking about clinicals the next day, or his next test or paper.  The poor guy.  On the way down I told him " It's your birthday, just relax and have a good time!"  He said, " Babe, I won't be able to fully relax until I get a job and get a paycheck.  I am a man and need to be able to support our family."  I have thought about that a lot.  I am so grateful that he is so dedicated to be good at his job.  And for being such a hard worker and willing to work for our family so I can stay home with the kids.  It took him a little time, but by the time we were half way through the kayaking trip he started to enjoy himself.  We had a great time together. 

Off we go! Hope we don't tip and get eaten by alligators.  Seriously, that's not even funny.

I said relax!!

Like this- see just smile:)

Do these sun glasses make me look like a movie star?  Cause that's the look I'm going for!

The scenery was beautiful.  We saw a  Manatee surface, so we started kayaking towards it, when we got about 15 feet away it freaked out and it's tail came crashing up out of the water and back down and up and down and up and down.  It swam away super fast creating a huge wake with it's tail.  It was AWESOME!  Except it rocked our kayak and that freaked me out a little bit.


My feet

All along the edges are these creepy crabs that climb up the roots, They look like spiders- it is creepy!!
I tried to upload the video but it wouldn't work- so you can check it out on youtube.



Osprey's nest up in the trees

We sat and watched the Osprey for a while.  The birds in the everglades are amazing.



Gator in the water!  First and only one we saw- cause it's the summer time.  If you go to the everglades in the winter you will see tons more because the water is colder so they come up and lay out on the shores.
Here's a short video of the gator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbRX1g7XxE

This is where we rented the kayak and had lunch.  It was just perfect! Everglades City is a fun little town. I think they just call it a city to trick people into going there. 

Here is the view from where we had lunch.

LOL- gotta love the Florida humidity and heat!  Nice and sweaty from those comfy lifejackets!

All the houses in Everglades "City" are up on stilts and the garages are underneath. 

Another cool house- I love the colors!

I just loved this field of palm trees that we drove along for a while.  I finally had to get out and take a picture.  It kinda reminded me of a Dr. Seuss illustration.  My picture just doesn't do it justice. 
After lunch we headed home, which is only about an hour away, and hung out with the kids the rest of the day.  It really was so nice to go out on such a cool date with Darren.  I love where we live- we have had so many good times here!

1 comment:

  1. Coolest pics! And yes, you do look like a movie star!

    ReplyDelete