Friday, April 4, 2014

Half Moon Cay

Our third day we went to Carnivals private island- Half Moon Cay. It was Darren's favorite.  It was what you picture when you think of a Caribbean cruise. gorgeous. Crystal clear blue water. Sandy beaches. 
This is what the beach looked like by the cruise ship.  However, Darren and I wanted to explore the island, and get away from all the "tourists".  So we walked up the beach, then we walked further, and further, than we went past a sign that said, "Dangerous, do not go past." Since we are really smart, responible adults we went past it. The sign was there because there were rocks and tide pools next to the ocean.  If you get some naive tourist who isn't familier with the ocean they could go out on the rocks and easily get hit by a wave and swept in.  So that sign didn't apply to us- since we are from Florida.  Plus we are smart enough to keep our distance from the waves.  So we kept going, and going.  We climbed over rocks and around the island and soon we were all alone.

And it looked like this
And this.

And This.
There were some really cool hidden beaches.  It felt like we were the only ones in the world. So we got in the water a little bit on a beautiful remote beach. 

The pictures just don't even do it justice. See that little piece of land sticking out on the right at the top of the picture? We went clear up around there.
Always on the lookout for shells!  I didn't really find any good ones.
There was all sorts of stuff washed up on this beach.  Mostly garbage- actually all of it was garbage.  I looked for shells and treasure but didn't find any.
We could still see the cruise ship.
The beach curves around like a moon- which is why they call it Half Moon Cay.  We walked all the way from the beach in the back right of the picture. And then some more around the tip of the island.
We loved the tide pools!


There I am- see how I keeping my distance from the ocean? Safety first!
More tide pools. See that tip in the upper right corner? We went up around there too.
If you look closely you can see a cool crab in this tide pool.

Opposite the ocean this is what it looked like.  Cool beans right?!


This is heading back to the main beach where there were other people who could take our picture.


We rented a covered chair and took a nap.  It felt great.  We waited till  then went back to the cruise ship.  Oh, and I forgot to mention lunch. They brought lunch on land and cooked barbecue.  It was delicious- and free! The previous meals on the ship had been pretty gross- so we were famished!  Yea, Carnival ship food was nothing to brag about.  I would compare it to school cafeteria lunches.
Once back on the cruise ship I had to take a picture of the color of the water!

The bar that is built like a pirate ship that we pretty much avoided.
These cabana's were for rent as "excursions". They were insanely priced.

I just had to take a picture of this blue color!
Good Bye Half Moon Cay! It was an amazing day! We walked all the way up that beach and around the tip.
Close up of the end of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment