Paul's Birthday cake he made himself for his 9th birthday party with friends. I love to let my kids decorate their own cakes. It cost's a couple of bucks, and they love it. He did this one Star Wars Lego themed. I didn't used to love letting them do their own cakes. I used to dream of making my kids beautiful, perfect, cakes for their birthdays. But as I would make them they would always want to help, and I could never say no, I mean, it's THEIR birthday, and its THEIR cake. So I would let them help, and then it would become un-perfect, so I would just give up and let them finish. And by the end it would be perfect to them. So now, I just let them have at it. I love to see what they come up with. Paul made these Lego guys from Lego's he already had and put them on the cake for his Lego Star Wars Birthday Party. Some times I look at blogs with beautiful birthday cakes mothers have made for their kids and get the desire to tell my kids not to touch- that I am doing the cake. But I think I will just do a cake for my own birthday, and when they want to help I will tell them- you get to decorate your cakes, and I get to decorate mine:) problem solved.


Paul LOVES star wars Lego's. I think Legos are the greatest toy ever invented!



Paul's birthday cake he made for our family party. Dinosaur themed. He just used some dinosaurs we already had. 
We had a couple of fun parties for Paul's Birthday - a family one and then a friend one that we had 15 kids come for. I really wasn't expecting that many kids, but we had a great time. Except when Kyle went right up to Ellie and pushed her- so she socked him right in the nose, which led to a gushing bloody nose, which led to 15 kids freaking out! Then Ellie was crying and hiding because she was so upset thinking all the kids at the birthday party would think she was mean. It was pretty much a fiasco and could have been a great scene of chaos in a movie.
We did a pinata which is always a hit. Here is an idea for frugality. I have issues spending $20 on something kids are going to hit with a baseball bat and break apart within 24 hours of buying the $20 dollar object. So, in our family we decorate a Shoe box! And yes, I let the kids decorate the box however they want. I punch a hole through the top and bottom, put the rope right through the middle of it. Then I duct tape it closed. Walla, cheap pinata the kids can hit it to their hearts content. And I haven't spent much money or time on it. I also buy candy at 1/2 off after Easter for Paul's birthday.
Happy Birthday Paul! We love you!!







Haha, Em you are so awesome. Great idea with the birthday cakes and Paul is actually really good at decorating! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove to hear about everyone...the kids are fantastic. (funny about Ellie and Kyle, I was laughing)