Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Lizzards, Frogs, and Bears oh my!

My kids love the wild life here- We have a bounteous number of lizards, frogs, turtles, ducks, cranes, and fish. We apparently also have bears, snakes, panthers, and alligators. There has been a bear (or 2) roaming our neighborhood. Yesterday my neighbor came to my door and said to watch my kids because there was a bear across the street 10 min. ago. Maybe this was the same bear that was spotted on Sat. or the one someone saw on Halloween. My other neighbor saw one a couple weeks ago. Right by our neighborhood is a large wooded area. They say the bears live over there. Everyone seems to have seen one except me. I'm wondering if this "bear" is Florida's version of "Snipes" for the newcomers. (Not really, but I will try to get a picture if I see one!) We also have Water Moccasin Snakes (in that pond right out our back door) . Our neighbor found a 3 foot one under their car in the garage. And there is always the possibility of alligators. They recently caught an 8 foot alligator in a complex like ours a couple of miles from our house. Needless to say I encourage the kids to play out front by the bear as opposed to out back by the alligators and snakes.

This is right out our back door. That water is probably 20 feet away. It makes me nervous to have this water so close. It gets pretty high every time it rains. That reminds me I need to get flood insurance tomorrow.

Paul is the master lizard catcher.

Here is a close up of that guy.

This is one of my kids favorite activities- catch a lizard and put encourage it to bite their ear lobe. Just like earrings! Maybe it will catch on. Feathers in the hair, lizards on the ears. So much fun!


Here is Kyle with a frog caught... IN our house. Yea, every time it rains they come out like crazy!

Every time I walk out our front door I have to keep an eye open for small creatures. Especially when it rains. Last time I had 3 little frogs on the walls outside our front door.

I guess I have to keep an eye open when going IN our house too. I came up to unlock my front door and this guy didn't want to move. Too bad Paul wasn't around to move him for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment