Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tragedy

 This is what my sister wrote on her blog- since I feel the exact same way-and don't feel like reinventing the wheel,  I'll just re post her words.   

There was a national tragedy last Friday.  An armed man went into a school in Connecticut and shot his mother (the teacher) and 25 other people.  18 were children.  I cannot imagine the grief that I would feel  if it had been my child.  But it was someone's child.  And it breaks my heart.  Now there is an outcry-we want to feel safe.  We want to make sure this never happens again.  So gun regulations are being proposed.  As if we had the tightest gun regulations that we can prevent things like this from happening again.  If we just blame the gun then we don't have to answer the tough questions.  The skeletons we have in our closet.  The real cause of these tragedies.  We don't want to say things like pornography, violent video games, violence on t.v. and movies, drugs and alcohol, lack of values taught at home and at school have any effect on our society.  We lie to ourselves.  These things are eating away at the moral fabric of our country and until we address these as the cause no regulation will keep us safe.  The reason I know more regulations would not help prevent more shootings is that there is a regulation in Connecticut that says that no one under the age of 21 can have a hand gun.  The shooter was 20.  What did that regulation do to stop the tragedy?  No.  It still happened.  He had applied earlier to get a rifle and had been turned down.  Yet he still was able to round up enough guns to do this horrible thing.  Now one might say we would be better as a society without any guns.  That would have prevented this but I thought it was tragically ironic that the same day as the shooting there was a tragedy in China.  A man entered a school and stabbed 21 people with a knife.  He caused tragedy without a gun.  Everything can be a weapon.  We must fix ourselves.  My fear with increased regulations is that we will eventually loose the right to possess guns.  I am not a big gun person.  I don't think everyone should have a gun.  I am an American that believes that the Constitution was Divinely inspired.  I love the Bill of Rights.  I believe that those men that fashioned the Constitution were inspired by an Omnipotent Being that knew that the possession of guns by the average citizen would be important in the history of this country.  I know that we have the 2nd amendment because we have a loving Heavenly Father that loves us and wants us to be happy and free.

So there you have it. It's been a sad week in America.   

No comments:

Post a Comment