Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Beach Bling

I have a new hobby.  (Not like I needed one)  I have become crazy about SHELLING.  Yes, It only took me 2 years of living in Florida to discover the name.  I loved shelling as a kid.  We would go to California and I would spend all my time at the beach looking for shells.  In fact, I like searching for any kind of treasure.  And shelling is a lot like treasure hunting- only better cause you actually find little treasures! I love it!  Each little shell is a little work of ART created by God!  It is amazing! I love to walk along the beach finding treasures.  Then bring them home and go through through all the ones we found that day.  It is so much fun!

This is what our front walkway looks like after an awesome shelling trip to the beach. 

These pretty ones are called Spiny Jewel Boxes.

These ones are Fighting Conch's.  These are pretty common- especially alive, they seem to be everywhere in the fall.

Paul found this cool Horseshoe Crab Skeleton. 

Here is the underside. 

These are called Shark Eye or Moon Shells and the bottom two are Colorful Moons.  This was actually the first time we found any of these- and we ended up finding a bunch!

Olive Shells.  She that top one on the left?  That one is amazingly big and shiny.  Bling!

I think these are a kind of Lucine

Look at this fun little one called a True Tulip.

Alphabet Cones.  Aren't they cute?

A Nutmeg. 

This cute little guy is called a Top Shell!

These fun ones are called Pear Whelk

Banded Tulip

Atlantic Semele

I love this little one- it is beautiful!  We have only found one of these Wentletrap

Another Banded Tulip- this one is in great shape.


I love these fun little Kitten Paws.  Can you guys why they are named that?

Broad-Ribbed Cardita

Turkey Wings for dinner anyone?

This cute little guy is a Sharp Rib Drill

And of course the Worm Shell.

Augers. I love these ones.  If I could have names them I would have named them Unicorn Horn or something cool like that.

Cerith. At first I thought these were the same as the Augur's- but I have been doing my Sea shell research. 


We liked this one cause of the backwards S


Cross Barred Venus.

One of my favorite- Scallops!

Oysters are so pretty too!

A really beautiful Sharks Eye! I mean, look at that thing 

Altemate-Tellin

Florida Prickly Cockle.  These ones get pretty big. Boom Shellalaka!

Slipper Shells- wanna know why they call them Slipper Shells?  Check out the next picture...

They look like a little slipper!

Here is some fun coral.  I love the little star shapes. 

More Calico's.  Or maybe it's the same picture but I love them so much I subconsciously put the same picture up twice.

I am not sure what this is- some sort of clam- but look how think this shell was! Amazing!

Coins we found with the metal detector.  Remember how I said I love to look for treasure? Yea.

These cute little shells get looked over a lot but they are one of my favorites! Ok, they are all my favs, these are Jingle Shells and they are so fun because they are translucent.

Some cool Barnicals on a shell.
Well,that is all my pictures for now.  But I am sure I will have lots more to come- Full moon tomorrow night so we will be going shelling first thing Friday morning! Shellzam!  

No comments:

Post a Comment