Wednesday, October 9, 2013

No-See-Ums

Did you know there are fly's out there with a worse bite than mosquitoes?  The Sandfly- or as we call them: no-see-ums.  Why are they called that? Because they are so small you don't really see them.  When they are eating you for dinner, you can feel it a little.  But not like you will be felling it the next 4 days!  I did nothing for 4 days except itch my legs and arms.  I tried to go to yoga, but it was impossible to concentrate! I couldn't even sleep at night and ended up taking Benedryl.  While that helped with the itching I felt like I had been drugged.  It was better than the itching.  I have never, ever, ever in my life had such horrible, itchy bites all over- for so long. These weren't like mosquitoes, where they last a day or 2.  I mean, this was a complete 4 days of severe itchiness.  I am going to have scars!  I just had to continue with the Benedryl- which made conference one big long weekend dream.  I think it was good? As if staying awake for conference wasn't hard enough!  Ok, I'm kidding- I heard some of it.  My mom says Chiggers are horrible too- but I've never had a chigger bite.  (knocking on wood here)
Even Wikipedia stands by me when I say they are worse than mosquitoes-
"Sandfly bites may leave large, red itchy bumps that may turn into a rash. These bumps are frequently several times as itchy as mosquito bites, and tend to last longer as well."  Duh.  Well now I know.

How did this happen?  Well, I have picked up a new hobby- shelling!  I love it- but that's a different post.  I dragged my kids up to an island to get some shells. We got some good ones, but also got eaten alive.  I had no idea.  I thought they bite you and that's it.  Little did I know that horror that would be manifesting itself the next day.

It's hard to see- but I counted over 100 bites- on this ONE LEG! 


Poor Ellie got them so bad too!


Oh the picture don't even do the horror justice.

 Paul got them all over his back and was begging all of us to scratch his back- but none of us could because we were too busy scratching our legs! Anyways, I think most of the damage is over.  We seriously will probably have scars.  Physical and mental.

1 comment:

  1. Bears, mean bugs, alligators...sheesh! Who knew Florida was so dangerous!?

    ReplyDelete