Have you ever been to Grand Turk? Well, if you haven't been on a cruise that stopped there then probably not. Simply because there isn't really anything there except the big shopping area the cruise ships built and MargarettaVille. The huge swimming pool with fountains and a swim up bar. Oh, and there are beautiful beaches and amazing snorkeling. But as for a town, shopping, eating, not much.
 |
| Yea! Solid ground! |
 |
| I walked along the beach looking for shells. I had a bunch of locals say things like, "hey beautiful" "hey georgous". I loved it! I wish people everywhere called each other beautiful or gorgeous. |
 |
| We
got off the ship early cause we had a snorkeling tour booked with a
local business. We don't like to go on the cruise excursions-they are
always over-priced and over-booked. Plus- I want to support the locals
cause they are cooler than Carnival! There was another couple signed up to go snorkeling with us, but they missed the cruise ship so it was just Darren and me. We got a personal tour. It was great. |
|
 |
| The first snorkeling spot was cool- it had some reef sharks that one of the guides caught and let us touch. It was cool- but I think it's better not to harass animals. I bet they get caught every day! |
 |
| Ok- so here we are getting ready for our 2nd snorkeling spot, THE WALL! Of course I had done research and knew what to expect- a cool coral reef and then a 7,000 foot drop off. I was a little apprehensive, as deep water really scares me. But I thought Darren would love it- and I was right he loved it. He swam around like crazy! And went pretty deep. Darren is an insane snorkeler. The guy can hold his breath for 3 min. and practices whenever we go to the pool. Or if there is no pool around he will practice in the bathtub. seriously. And sometimes he will wear a Speedo snorkeling so there is less resistance and he can go deeper. LOL |
 |
| Here is the drop off. you can not see the bottom. It is a very creepy feeling to be floating in the ocean above nothing. I preferred to be over the coral reef. |
 |
| Here Darren goes- down along the drop off. He is really good at pressurizing his ears and says he went down about 50 feet. |
 |
| AHHHHH! |
 |
| Coming back up for a breath. |
 |
| Then down again he goes. |
 |
| I tried for a moment to swim over the deep part and just be silent for a moment and take in the beauty of openness. The sun shone down through the water and created a beauty I have never seen. It was amazing. I enjoyed it for a second than swam back to the coral really fast. |
 |
| Snorkeling The Wall was amazing. Darren was in heaven. We would have snorkeled longer but the water was a little cold. When we got back on the boat our guide asked if we heard the whales. I didn't, but Darren said he heard them when he went down deep. He said it was amazing! He could hear them singing to each other as clear as day- just like you hear on the Discovery Channel or something! |
 |
| Our cool tour guides dropped us off the beach up a couple miles from the cruise ship so we see "the town". Which consisted of some fun painted shacks along the beach. Really, there was not much more than that and dirt roads. |
 |
| Pretty much the only food they had on the island was fish sandwiches or conch. So I got a fish sandwich and Darren got Conch Fritters. The fish was Grouper- so it was delicious, and Darren's was good too. What looks funner than this?!! |
 |
| Life is good! I love to travel! |
When we were done we did a little shopping and then snorkeled from the beach. I looked for shells but didn't find any. I bought a cool peacock bag/purse and Darren couldn't believe I bought it cause he says I have way to many bags. Hey, Darren, I don't have to many bags from Grand Turk! Then we caught a taxi back to the cruise ship. The Americanized pool at Margarittaville was full of drunk collage kids and there was a live band playing and people dancing. What a waste to come to a really cool island and not see the town, culture, or beach at all- but spend your whole time in a pool drinking! I love Darren and me and the way we like to travel:) It was an amazing day.
Amazing pictures. You could possibly have too many bags!! HA HA I thought of you the other day when we went on a picnic, I started to grab a plastic grocery sack and then thought of you and got a cute blue and shite striped tote. Our outing was instantly up-graded! Hope that you guys are doing well.
ReplyDeleteThose are awesome pictures! We should travel together. I like your style! You got a lot more out of Grand Turk than any of the other people!
ReplyDelete