Saturday, May 16, 2015

A New Member

Breaking the news to Ellie we were going to have a boy was not easy.  I was a little sad, but the worst part was seeing Ellie so sad. She has really been wanting a sister for 4 years.  Every family prayer we have she prays for a girl.  Every fast Sunday she fasts for a girl.   It was really hard to see her so completely devastated.  She was broken hearted.   I had the ultra sound on a Monday- but didn't tell the kids. I lied and told them it was Friday because I knew Ellie would be beside herself waiting to find out.  She wouldn't be able to sleep for 2 days before.  I'm not exaggerating.  So I waited till they were all home. I tried to tell the kids in a fun way.  I bought blue helium balloons and put them in a box.  I bought a blue table cloth and blue plates and cups for dinner.  I told them to come in the front room and they all started freaking out.  They knew what was happening.  I told them when I opened the box, if the balloons were pink it is a girl, and if it's blue, it's a girl.  The anticipation was thick.  I lifted the box and as the balloons floated to the ceiling there was nothing but silence.  Then the tears started flowing.  Pretty much everyone was crying except Paul and Darren.  It was not a fun sight.   Poor little Ellie excused herself to her room.  She said she just needed to be by herself.  After about a half hour I went up there and we had a good cry together.  We talked about how all she wanted was a sister.  Mostly, the reason I was wanting a girl is so that Ellie could have a sister.  She was devastated she will never have a sister. I am sad too.  I love my sisters.  I can't imagine a life without sisters.  I told Ellie it would be me and her.  We would have to be especially close.   Then she asked if she had done something wrong.  Why hadn't Heavenly Father answered her prayers?  I don't know.  That's a hard one.  I wonder the same thing.  We just have to do our best in life and trust that Heavenly Father knows what is best for our family.  
After a while Darren came in and talked to us.  Seeing Ellie so broken was just too much for him.  He asked her if there was anything at all we could do to help her feel better.  She said no.  After a few moments she said, "a puppy, I want a puppy."  I thought, "Oh NO!!! Not a dog!! Anything else but a dog! I'd almost rather go through another pregnancy!"  But we are not having another one.  We are done.  And so we got a puppy.  Ellie wanted a little puppy that could sit on her lap.  I ended up finding this sweet little puppy on Craigslist in the tri-cities.  The moment Ellie held her was magic.  The crack in Ellie's heart was healed.  The little puppy licked Ellie's nose and face.  They snuggled and loved each other and everything was ok.  Now Ellie is happy she got a puppy and gets a baby brother too.  She said the puppy healed her heart.  That's worth any sacrifice for a mom. 




No comments:

Post a Comment