Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Getting Ready For a Mission

One thing I have ALWAYS dreamed about doing is to go on a service mission.  The medical ones where they fix children's cleft palate and cleft lip.  My sister Athena did Hirsche Smiles in Guatemala.  She had an amazing time.   I have always had a problem though- I have no medical training! But now.... I am married to a CRNA! Which means, I can try to convince him to go and go with him! I could do clerical work or something.   And  I want to take my kids.  I want my kids to see how most of the rest of the world lives.   It's a big awakening for someone who has lived in America their whole life to see a 3rd world country.   I'll tell you, when you start to feel like you need a bigger house, nicer car, or whatever, just take a trip to Guatemala and all your wantings will be gone.  It's a great life lesson for kids.  I want my kids to experience it.
I  e-mailed the folowing letter to about 10 different organizations tonight.

Hello!
My husband is a CRNA and we are interested in going on a mission- in a year or two.  I would like to start now to get ready.  If he gets credentialed how long do the credentials last?  Is it something that needs to be renewed every year or two?

I would also like to go with him, but have no medical experience.  Do you have other jobs I could do such as clerical? 

I would also be interested in bringing my older children to help.  They are very responsible and helpful.  Do you have an age limit you allow people to come help?  My sister did a trip where younger people would play with the kids before surgery- keep them entertained.  They would also help them wash their hair, and taught them how do bath, brush teeth, etc.  Do you do things like that?

I am aware we would need to cover expenses for myself and my children.  I would really like my children to see how other people in the world live and learn to serve others. 

Thanks so much!!


Emily Ernst

Hopefully we will get some good responses. 
We watched the following video for Family Home Evening to start thinking about getting ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLyMZmtdI0E

I know it may take a couple of years to actually go, but I already can't wait!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is so inspiring! You guys really are my favorite family (other than my own). I love this and hope you get to go. What an amazing experience it will be.

    ReplyDelete