Monday, February 8, 2016

Sacrifice

The other day a friend asked me to send her a picture of me climbing.  I got out my old pictures and thought deeply as I saw this.  Climbing used to be my life.  I was on a strict eating and climbing schedule.  l think I went 3 years without a french fry I was so strict about my eating.  I competed and got 1st or 2nd in every climbing competition I was in.  I had professional climbers training me.  I was good. Then, I figured it wasn't the life I wanted. Sure I climbed for fun, and still do.  But I didn't want it to be my life.
  I think about what I have given up to be a mom.  My body doesn't quite look the same.  My kids saw this picture and were like- "Mom, you had a 6 pack!!"  Lol.  yup, I did.  But do I ever look back with regrets?  Do I wish I had become a professional rock climber?  Or a jockey? Or artist?  Or designer?  Never.  Not for a second.  There is nothing in the world more rewarding than being a mother.  I love it.  I feel completely satisfied with my life. In fact, I feel elated about my life. 


Having children is a sacrifice.  You sacrifice your body, time, money, etc.  But I love it.  I love the following quote-
I promise you that what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove instead to be the greatest investment that you will ever make. 
- Gordon B. Hinkley
 
It could not be said better.   There is nothing, NOTHING better in the world than the love of my family.  No matter what I sacrificed for my kids, I would do it a thousand times again. 

“You are the trip I did not take, you are the pearls I could not buy,
you are my blue Italian lake, you are my piece of foreign sky.

You are my Honolulu moon, you are the book I did not write,
you are my heart's unuttered tune, you are a candle in my night.

You are the flower beneath the snow, in my dark sky a bit of blue,
answering disappointment's blow with "I am happy! I have you!”

Anne Campbell

 

2 comments: