Ok- I have to add a couple more Christmas post's before I wrap it up for the season. First, My cousin Circe put this on her blog. Her blog- http://dopppartyofseven.blogspot.com/ is creative and hilarious and I love reading it. So she posted the following:
"Christmas Shoes
I might send Freestone to the auto body shop with his piggy bank and tell them that his mom is about to take her last breath and what would make her really happy is getting her front bumper replaced before she croaks. If it works, I'll write a country song about it and end up so rich that I'll be able to buy my own shoes. So my kid won't have to panhandle in a department store when I'm on my deathbed. Oh, and Freestone, just so you know, people don't take their shoes with them when they die."
Circe.
I got such a good laugh from this posts- and most of her posts for that matter. Anyways, it made me think of this story that I have to tell.
A couple of years ago that song came on the radio and Darren was in the car. I don't like that song so I turned it. Darren said, "What are you doing, I love that song!?" I laughed, "I hate that song! It's so lame!" Darren replied, "What are you cold hearted?!! That song is so sweet! I love it, it makes me think of you and how much I love you!" He held my hand and looked lovingly into my eyes. Well, then I didn't hate that song so much. Regardless of the story, if it makes my husband like me and dot on me more- well it can't be that bad. I tried to like the song, but still couldn't really stand it. I started to think of him every time I heard the song, liked it a little more each time I heard it- but there was a part of me that still despised it.
So the next year Darren brought home a little present on Christmas Eve. It is our little family's tradition to watch The Nativity Story on Christmas Eve every year. It brings a great spirit in the house and really makes you think about Mary and Joseph and how brave they were. They had so much faith. Anyways, so Darren brings home the MOVIE- The Christmas Shoes to watch on Christmas Eve! I was like, seriously? Please no!! But he was so excited and hugged me and insisted that we would all love it so much- plus he insisted, "this is our special song!" So we started the movie, halfway through the kids and I were all bawling- the kids wanted to turn it off- but Darren insisted we watch it. Well, in the end the kids won. At the end of the movie- right before the mom dies the kids freaked out and Ellie ran up and turned off the DVD player. They were all sobbing, and clinging to me. Darren was laughing. I was sobbing and pretty mad to watch such a depressing move Christmas Eve. We walked up stairs, all the kids clinging to me, tears streaming down their cheeks, "I don't want you to die mom!" They were all giving Darren a piece of their minds for making us watch such a lame movie on Christmas Eve. I was pretty mad. It was a little hard to feel the Christmas Spirit after that. This year we watched the Nativity Story.
Emily, your story is hilarious. I was laughing so hard! I am so glad we have blogland to keep in touch! Love ya.
ReplyDeleteOh Emily this is one of the funniest blogs I have read! It made me laugh as much when I read Circes! Now I am going to have to share yours on my blog. Darren is so great. I love you guys! I can visualize this whole situation, and Em, I don't want you to die either. Although, if you do I call dibs on your Roman wall Cement thing :). I guess thats not very funny huh...
ReplyDelete