Yes- this was a long day, we went to the Everglades, checked in at the hotel, and then to finish off the day we went snorkeling at John Pennekamp.
 |
| Yea! We made it! |
 |
| setting up camp |
 |
| All right kids, time to practice snorkeling! |
 |
| These kids were amazing! Makayla and Emma were just like fish in the water. |
 |
| Emma getting the hang of it. |
 |
| Kyle |
 |
| Mark and Makayla |
 |
| Derek had no interest in snorkeling, he was perfectly happy just hanging out in the water! |
 |
| The group |
 |
| What you go there Darren? |
 |
| Fun! |
 |
| Can you see that fish? |
 |
| Emma |
 |
| There is an achor and some really cool cannons that are about 100 feet off shore. It was fun to snorkel around them. |
 |
| Ellie swimming down!- I can hardly even do that! |
 |
| Here is one of the cannon's |
 |
| Hello me! |
 |
| This picture doesn't do it justice- this fish was so pretty, it had these cool blue stripes on it. |
 |
| Can you spot the baby sting ray that we saw? |

So, as we were finishing up snorkeling and the sun was setting we were looking at the water, I was about knee deep when all of a sudden something very large surfaced and went back down. It was huge- at least 6 feet long, and it was where I had been snorkeling moments before! I yelled at everyone and we looked- and it came up again. I jumped in and started swimming after it- I figured it was a manatee and wanted to see it up close! But then the water started to get murky and I started to think, "what the heck am I doing following a large sea creature that I THINK is a manatee? What if it's not?" So I stopped following and we watched the mysterious thing swim away. It was cruising! I asked a ranger who happened to be there and he confirmed what we thought. He said there is a trench there where the manatees sleep and then they swim out of the area around dusk. I got a good adrenalin rush out the whole incident! As we stood there watching the water the Tarpon started biting too. They are a big fish-2-6 feet and come up and twist in the water so you see a bunch of fins above the water. It is pretty cool to watch. It was an incredible evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment