Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Camping in January


It's not what you think.  Camping in January in Florida is not the same as camping in January in Utah.  It's actually the busiest and best month of the year to camp in Southwest Florida!  Darren and I took the kids camping this last weekend and had an amazing time.   It got a little hot during the day, but the night temperature was just perfect.  Cold enough for a fire, but not freezing. I think the low was 52 and the high was a sunny 78.  Just perfect. 
Here is our campsite- just perfect!

The place we stayed at was called Caloosahatchee campground.  Try and say that 5 times!
Check out these gorgeous trees!   Florida is a Botanical paradise!

I really tried to capture the beauty of the trees, but just couldn't get it.




One of the fun things about this campground is that you don't drive your car to the spot.  You load everything up in these carts and wheel them to your camp spot.  At first I thought it was weird, but it made it seem more like camping- I really liked it!

And the kids had a blast in the carts- it kept them entertained for a good hour!

My angle baby,  Gabriel.

Here is Gabe's dinner plate

We camped for 2 nights.  We sat around the fire.  I swear we ended up spending as much money on firewood as we would have spent on a hotel! Maybe we should have just burned the money.

So, what did we do for 2 days besides sit by the fire and burn expensive fire wood?

We hung out
Snuggled
Saw some wild animals- can you tell what it is?

Actually, saw 2 of them



Darren took the kids mountain biking

Four times.

Even Gabe got to go!

Just around camp.  It was a magical bike ride.

Gabe cried like crazy when the magical bike ride was over.
Sat around the camp fire some more.

Snuggled and read a lot
Had a photo shoot

Messed around with my camera settings

Laughed

Smiled


Crawled to the fire over and over again.

Stood by himself for a couple of seconds!

Crawled to the fire again, but faster this time!

Watched the moon come up over the river
Watched the sun set on the river

Went fishing

Enjoyed each others company

And so the sun sets on another Ernst Family adventure.  One of the best yet.  Can't wait to see what adventures another sunrise will bring. 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! what a fun time. I can't believe we were so close! I couldn't plan ahead too much because of the surprise factor, but we will definitely have to come back and make it over there this time. Hwy 75 runs practically right from my Aunt Tricia's door to yours. she lives in Hollywood.

    Anyway, your kids are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- We would love that! Just come stay with us next time! There is lots of fun stuff to do here. And the beaches are the best!!!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great time! We will have to go with you next time. And I LOVE the pics of Gabe, he's so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete