Sunday, September 13, 2015

Labor and Delivery- Luke Part 2


I love this picture Malinda took of me and Laura walking down the hallway of the hospital.  That's like the 4th towel I had soaked through. We were laughing so hard. 
When we got to the hospital we skipped the Emergency Room and went straight to Labor and Delivery.  We stopped at the nurses station and I said, "Um, I'm in Utah for Education Week and my water just broke." We were all laughing.  I asked if I could leave if they checked the baby and everything looked ok.  I was thinking I would drive back to Oregon so I could still have my dream labor.  They said once I checked in I could not leave if my water was broken because of risk of infection.  I had no choice.   I checked in.
 Laura told the nurse I didn't want an epidural so we went to a room with a bathtub.  I was mentally preparing to go natural with my mom and sisters there helping me.  Up to this point my mom had been very NON- supportive me going natural.  She refused to support my decision.  She even bet me $50 I wouldn't do it.  Hey, actually mom- I never did get that epidural, so you owe me $50!  A spinal doesn't count! Anyways,  I talked to my mom and told her I needed her to support my decision.  She was very hesitant and it was a little tense.  At least Laura was on my side.  The nurse put the monitor on and the baby's heartbeat looked good.  She checked me and I wasn't dilated at all. I had had no contractions.  Everything looked good. She said they would stat me on pitocin.  I was like- "um, no way.  You aren't starting me on pitocin till my husband gets here." She thought about it and said, "actually, we don't start to get worried till your waters been broken 24 hours, so if we start you on pitocin in the morning when your husband gets here that would probably be fine."  I breathed a sigh of relief! It looked like Darren could actually make it in time for the labor and delivery! I was so happy and hopeful.   I could go natural and Darren could be there!  And my mom was off the hook. Things were going to be ok.
Me, Malinda, Laura, and my mom having a great time.




We relaxed and joked around.  We took these funny pictures of me looking longingly at my Education Week book with my name tag. I was going to be missing classes Thursday and Friday.   I also freshened up by brushing and flossing my teeth.  It was so fun to have my mom and sisters there, it was so exciting!  I was so naive about what was about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment