Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dreams of Sugarplums

Every year we buy a gingerbread house kit or two. Every year I am tempted to tell the kids not to touch anything and do the whole thing myself. I could make it look beautiful! Just like the picture on the box. But that's not really fun for the kids. So, I just let them go at it. My kitchen table is a mess for at least 2 days. I really want to get into it, but it's such a disaster I don't even try to make one. You know what- maybe this year I will buy a kit for myself to do. I won't let the kids touch it! Laura was telling me our mom used to make a beautiful gingerbread house every year when we were growing up- and we weren't allowed to help. Maybe that's where I get it from. All Christmas there would be a fun beautiful gingerbread house that we loved to look at and dream about eating after Christmas. Of course, when it came time to finally eat some of the delicious candy and gingerbread it was all old and stale and disgusting.

Here is the kit we bought this year. They had dreams of their gingerbread houses looking like this. I wanted to warn them that it probably took a team of professional artists weeks to get the gingerbread houses looking like that.


Reality. This is what they ended up looking like. Ellie was really pretty mad.

Here is Kyle having a grand ol time. He was not so concerned with his house being so perfect.

Ellie ended up having a great time.





2 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens! This is one of the funniest sites I have ever seen - I am still laughing! Isn't that the way all of life is, though? Never turns out quite how you imagine it! Wait until you are my age and you are still wondering, "When am I going to get this right?" Love you! MOM

    ReplyDelete