As school starts and summer ends I think back to what we did over the summer.
I had big plans- we were going to kick off the summer by going to David and Marilyns for Blair's wedding and seeing my cousin Circe and her family. Then in July we were going to spend a day snorkeling in the keys. Then in August I really wanted to go Harry Potter Land at Universal.
A couple weeks before school got out reality hit. hard. After looking at our budget I realized that financially none of our summer plans were going to work. Have you ever spent a whole summer without going anywhere? I hadn't. I'm not going to lie. This summer was a little hard. And by the end it was pretty bad. My kids were climbing all over each other, and anytime I said, "anyone want to go to the beach?" the answer was, "noooo, it's soooo hot! We've already gone there this week!" We pretty much went to the gym, pool, watched movies, read, and went to the Children's Museum a lot. That sounds fun, and it was for the first 2 months- but it gets old. Those are fun things to do while your planning or recouping from your vacation. Not 3 months straight. Plus it just doesn't FEEL right! We need to be packing to go to Montana, or camping, or Grans, or Southern Utah, or to my mom's or to the Keys, or SOMETHING!
I kept telling myself- it's ok. That if I lived in another country I'd be so grateful just to have my car and nice townhouse, and food and air conditioner! And I am.
I also have to think that Erica and Mike and Rachel are coming to visit in Oct. And David and Marilyn are going to come for Thanksgiving, so I have something to look forward to. Plus, we want to do something special when Darren graduates. It will be our 15 year anniversary and my mom is going to come out and watch the kids so we can do something fun.
I haven't posting anything because I don't want to sound ungrateful, or complaining, I mean, we have a great life. We really do. But I do want to
remember to be EXTRA grateful when we do have the resources to go on
summer vacation. Someday, when Darren has a job I want to read this and think, "remember that summer we didn't have enough money to even pay for gas to go somewhere??!! Yea, that was hard! I'm glad that's over!" LOL
Next summer. Next summer.
Been there. Not my favorite destination. :) At least you're in Florida, the vacation capital of the world. But I totally get it! I need to have a trip planned at all times. We might have a dry spell coming up here!:(
ReplyDelete