It seems like all I have been blogging lately is seashells and talks. I hope your not sick of them- because I saved the best for last! Here is Darren's talk on prayer. If you know us well, you know we have had a rough past 9 years. When he gave this talk it was very somber and sincere. It was extremely touching. We were both in tears- which isn't a big deal for me- but I don't see him cry very often. I hope you can feel his sincerity as you read it.
Prayer Talk
Brothers and sisters I am
glad to see you all here on this beautiful Sunday morning. There is no better
place we could be right now. Although we
all recognize the minor inconvenience a speaking assignment brings, I am
grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings with you today.
Anesthesia school is a great challenge, and can easily take focus off the most
important things in life.
My assigned topic today is prayer. I have been blessed to see the power of
prayer many times in my life. Throughout my life I have wondered how a great
and powerful being such as God could condescend to hear and yes, even respond
to one such as I. Yes, this life is a
struggle, yes- hard times befall the good and the evil, but our merciful God
has seen fit in his infinite wisdom and love to provide us with a life-line, a
conduit to tap into the source of all goodness and light in the universe. President Scott stated in a 2007 general
conference address:
“Prayer is
a supernal gift of our Father in Heaven to every soul. Think of it: the
absolute Supreme Being, the most all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful
personage, encourages you and me, as insignificant as we are, to converse with
Him as our Father.”
Indeed prayer is of the
utmost importance in our lives. It
allows us to express the desires of our hearts to our father in heaven, opening
the path for blessings and guidance. The great prophet Nephi, despite his own
feelings of inadequacy, was one of the most eloquent writers in the Book of
Mormon. In second Nephi Chapter 4 verse 35 he testifies:
Yea, I know that God will give aliberally to
him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I bask cnot amiss;
therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God,
the drockof
my erighteousness.
Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine
everlasting God. Amen.
Just think. There is an all
powerful being, even the creator of the world, the universe, everything we
know- who is willing to listen and even respond to our needs. There are likely
many in our society who yearn to speak with famous leaders and innovators , I
wonder how much someone would pay to speak with someone like Bill Gates? We have
access to an immeasurably greater resource.
During my mission in Nagoya, Japan
I was blessed to be companions with a truly humble spiritual giant. My friend Hans Zeller was an excellent
missionary and even went on to serve as Bishop of a large ward even before he
was 30. I learned much from him during
our time together. One evening, as we
embarked on yet another night of knocking doors in an unfamiliar land we
stopped and he offered a sincere prayer of guidance. I followed as he sped away at a fast clip
turning left and right through the narrow streets- I could barely keep up! We
had never been in this area before and just as suddenly as he started, he
choose the apartment where we would work.
At the first door there was no response as so many we had knocked
before. At the second door however, a
small Portuguese speaking man answered the door. He eagerly let us in and we
shared a simple message with him and made a follow up appointment. Over the
coming weeks we truly learned the meaning of a Golden investigator. Each
principle we taught was accepted with a phrase similar to “Yes I feel like I
knew that already”. On the second visit he let us know that less than a week
before he had asked God in prayer if there was a true church, and if there was,
could He please let him know which of the many in the world it is. I testify to you brothers and sisters, that
night as we rode through the dark of night, two prayers were answered. Two of the weak things of the world were
guided to the home of a spiritual giant.
This unassuming, man of small stature from Brazil is a walking testament to
the power of prayer. Indeed, like Joseph
Smith, my brother Valter followed the admonition of James, which states:
aIf any of you
lack bwisdom, let
him ask of God, that cgiveth to
all men liberally, and dupbraideth not;
and it shall be given him.
Valter soon became branch
president of a Portuguese speaking branch in Japan,
and currently serves in the stake presidency in his native country of Brazil. He is truly an example to me.
Prayer is also a tool we can
use to ask for blessings when we are in need of help in our lives. Make no mistake, this life is a
challenge. We all know thanks to Lehi
-that without the bitter we would be unable to know the sweet. So we all must
face hardship and trials.
I returned
home from my mission with great ambition. I earned a degree in Japanese and
perused a career as an entrepreneur with a local franchise. Despite a promising start, due to factors
outside of my control, I was left in a difficult position. One location was breaking even and the other
was greatly in the red. I was intimately
aware of the desperation of my situation and saw no possibility of any type of
positive outcome. In the depths of this
hopeless situation, my wife and I fell to our knees and asked Heavenly Father
for a way to salvage our situation to some degree. We asked for the prayers of family members
and continued to do our best. Then, the
impossible happened. A buyer, with a vision
for the future appeared and purchased our businesses. Although the experience was still severely
painful, this miracle allowed us to salvage what was left of our financial
lives. It is difficult to convey the
magnitude of this occurrence. Brothers and
sisters, this was literally a miracle, I assure nobody in their right mind
would have purchased those stores- and I whole heartedly attribute it to the
power of prayer.
After selling our stores I
was left to decide what to make of my life.
My wife in her brilliant mind gave me the idea to become a nurse with
the goal to obtain an advanced degree in the future. I began the prerequisites at Brigham Young University Idaho with great hope, but as time passed
and I found out more about the Nursing program there, my hope dwindled. I discovered the average GPA for accepted
students was nearly 4.0. I thought I was smart, but only made it through my
previous degree with a meager 3.3 GPA.
To my dismay, BYU Idaho was filled to the brim with intelligent young ladies
who appeared to have a work ethic that would put me to shame on my best day.
And they all wanted to be nurses. I did my best at the required chemistry and
biology classes and reluctantly signed the Nursing school application my wife
filled out for me. I was more than certain I would be at the bottom of the
list. True to my instincts I soon
received a letter of rejection. My wife
however, continued in prayer and requested her entire family to do the same in
the hopes that by some miracle a spot would open up. I thought to myself- What a waste of time. I
am hardly qualified. There is no way I will ever get in.
My beautiful wife would look
at me with a twinkle in her eye and exhort me to keep my faith that I would be
accepted. One fateful day a number of
weeks later, just two weeks before the semester was to start I received a phone
call offering me a spot in the program.
I literally fell to the floor in disbelief. I could hardly speak. How could this be? I ran upstairs to tell my wife and we embraced
in tears and she told me she knew the Lord would provide a way for us. – I have to mention here that her family is
made up of the most faithful and diligent people I know. I could never claim any level of spiritual
greatness or power, but I know for a fact they spent much time on their knees
and in the temple on my behalf. Brothers
and sisters, through the power of prayer I have seen miracles. And that is how
I am here today.
Yes God has instructed us to
pray and to ask and to be blessed. But I
submit to you today that there is an even higher purpose for prayer. The great teacher Amulek taught us about
prayer when he said:
26 But
this is not all; ye must apour out your
souls in yourbclosets, and
your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do
not cry unto the Lord, let your aheartsbe bfull, drawn
out in prayer unto him continually for yourcwelfare, and
also for the welfare of dthose who
are around you.
Yes we should pray for
ourselves, yes we should pray for prosperity, but at the top of the list, our
prayers should be for those around us. As we look around in life we may see
strong, hardworking people. But I assure you, a closer more personal
examination will demonstrate that each and every one of us is dealing with some
struggle. We may all not be going through the refiners’ fire at the moment, but
there are many around us that need to feel Gods love. Did Jesus not teach in
John 13 34-35?
34 A
new commandment I give unto you, That ye alove one
another; as I have loved you, that ye also blove one
another.
Did Jesus not clearly tell us
the importance of love in Matthew when he was asked to name the greatest
commandment when he replied:
Thou shalt alove the
Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and
with all thy soul, and with all thy cmind.
40 On
these two commandments hang all the alaw and the
prophets.
Brothers and sisters, through
prayer the Lord will guide us in how to best show his love to those who stand
in need. It may be a ward member, or a stranger in the market that needs a kind
word. A heart continually drawn out in prayer to the Lord will be able to see
others with spiritual eyes and will
do great works of service and love for their fellow man.
When I was 18 years old I
lived by myself in a small apartment as a turbulent adolescence. After breaking my leg in a skateboarding accident I was without
a vehicle and forced to use crutches to get around. When the food in my house
ran out I crutched the ½ mile to the nearest store and purchased some goods.
By the time I stared home my arms were raw and my injured body was exhausted
- I was not sure if I would even make
it. As I made it to the street and began my journey, seeing my obvious struggle,3-4
young men pulled to the side of the road and offered me a ride- to this day I
still cannot describe my relief. I am
not sure if they were the three nephites or not, but as I collapsed on the
couch after they left, I wept at the love and kindness they had shown me. Their
faces were bright, their smiles were real. I knew that these young men,
although not of our faith, were followers of Jesus Christ.
Brothers and sisters, I pray that we can all
turn our hearts to the Lord in prayer to better not only ourselves, but to
enrich the lives of those around us so the Love of God may be made manifest to
those here on earth.
-Testimony-
-Amen-
I can not read this with out crying. I so distinctly remember the moment Darren came running upstairs sobbing to tell he he had gotten into the program. It was a moment I will never forget. Although life hasn't been easy- things have been better since then. It has been a long 7 years of schooling, but Darren has worked so hard. I cannot believe that soon he will graduate and we will get a job. The thought of getting a steady paycheck just seems unbelievable. It seems as if it will never come. I wish I had a fast-forward button, wait, but then I would miss the last 3 months of 85 degree weather- Life is such a double edged sword!
Thank you for sharing this and just being who you are. You have even been the answer to some of my prayers. I love how Heavenly Father works!
ReplyDeleteDarren is such a great person. His talk is inspiring. Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteThat is an absolutely amazing talk. Thanks for sharing it! I'm so thankful you have the blog so we can feel closer to you. We missed you at the DeBry party today. We love you all!
ReplyDelete