Friday, February 27, 2015

Morning Sickness Remedies

"Babe, There is NO cure for Morning Sickness!!!"  Darren.  This is a quote I hear on a daily basis as I try to do something different, or find some remedy online.  I'm afraid he's right.  There is no cure.  I'll tell you some things I have tried and maybe helped a little.  But really there is no cure.  Just some things that seem to take the edge off of it.  I will rate how much it has helped me on a scale of 1-10.

Zofran- 0:  this "powerful" drug they use for chemo patients has done absolutely nothing for me.   I swear my pills are a placebo.  I know a lot of people who Zofran helped, so I think the problem is me.  Not the Zofran.

Promethazine- 1:  Another "powerful" drug used for people on Chemo.  It helps a little bit.  But makes me so sleepy and drugged out I can only take it at night.  So that doesn't really help

Doxylamine Succinate and Vitamin B6-  3.5: This over-the-counter "unisom" I find more helpful than anything.  I also have been taking a liquid vitamin B6.  I read you need to take the vitamin B6 about 4 days until it starts working.  And I have to take the vitamin B6 on a full stomach right before bed or I will throw up.   This combination has helped the most of all the medications.

Ginger-  0:  Seriously.  It's just gross.  Ginger ale, ginger suckers, ginger cookies.  I've tried them all. When someone asks me if I have tried ginger, I know they have no idea what real morning sickness is.

Acupuncture- 2:  I have tried this with 2 pregnancies. It worked better when I was pregnant with Kyle.  I felt amazing the day I got it but nothing the next day.  This time it helped the day day I got it also- but nothing the next day.  I think your body resets when it goes to sleep or something. 

Exercise- 3.5:  Have you ever heard the story of the guy who cut off his foot so he cut off his hand to take away the pain?  I think this is how exercise works while sick with morning sickness.  I can't think of anything that sounds worse than exercising.  It just sounds like absolute torture.  But strangely enough, while I am actively working out I feel a little less sick than normal.   It's like it takes the pain and transfers it.  And if you think about it- morning sickness is caused by hormones, right? So what is a great way to create good hormones? Exercise.  Feel good hormones really do help me.  Especially with the depression.  The days I exercise I feel better.  But it takes EVERY ounce of willpower to just get my workout clothes on.  I feel like I can't. possibly. exercise.  Like there is no way I could possibly go running.  But I get my workout clothes on, then I go outside and start slowly jogging.  It is hard, but I do it.  I just start. And I keep going. I always feel like I just ran a marathon or completed one of the hardest things in my life when I finish that 3 miles.  It makes me feel like I'm not such a loser just laying on the couch being a terrible mother all day.  I reach deep down inside me and do something amazing.  It really helps the most with my depression.

Music- 2:   I have no music talent and don't have a huge interest in music.  But sometimes, when there seems no escape from the sickness, I put on my headphones and put on a song I like and just breath.  I try to escape into the music.  Music is amazing.  It can really take you away.  One of my favorites to listen to is "Glorious"  by David Archuleta.   It really helps for the moment.

Something Fun to Look Forward to- 2.5: This is a must.  Darren and I are going to Hawaii in June for a conference for Darren.  So I spend a lot of time in front of the computer researching Hawaii.   It really helps my depression with morning sickness to have something to look forward to.   Like REALLY helps.  I mean, how can you be depressed when you are researching and planning a trip to Hawaii? It has kept me going on the really bad days.

Massage- 0: I got a massage- hearing that can help.  Talk about a waste of money.  I couldn't enjoy myself the whole time because I was feeling sick.  She was good- it wasn't the massage therapist. But I just couldn't enjoy it.

Priesthood  Blessings-: I'm not going to rate this because it's emotional help is beyond measure.   I do not believe a priesthood blessing is to be a healing blessing to take away morning sickness.  Morning sickness is a part of my calling as a mother.   I ask for a blessing for comfort, for strength, for courage.  I have had a blessing with each of my pregnancy's when I am in my deepest darkest days.  It has given me immense comfort that can not be rated.  Maybe someday I'll blog about them. 

So there you have it.  My list of things worth talking about.  Bottom line- Darren knows what he is talking about, There is NO cure for morning sickness.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I would get that feeling like I was going to throw up and I would sip on Dr. Pepper to make me throw up faster. Unisom helped me the best. We took a trip to Atlanta when I had morning sickness with Stephanie. It was so nice not to have to take care of kids or cook for a few days. I hope that you're starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete