So, Darren's sisters Erica and Rachael decided to come visit us to help us move into our new place. Since we only live a couple of hours from the Florida Keys, we decided we should take a little road trip with them before Darren started school. We had a blast. Even the drive down there was great. We drove through the Everglades, then onto Key Largo- and then the next 2 1/2 hours was driving along the Keys. It was beautiful and tons of fun!

Here is Paul with his trusty net. He takes that thing everywhere! He does catch a number of things with it. Typically it is frogs and lizards, but on this trip he caught some cool fish.


Like this cool long snouted fish.

Erica and buddy with something he caught.

Here is at one beach we spent hours at swimming in the beautiful water, snorkeling and exploring the rocks.


The beautiful beach- looks like it's right out of a magazine!
Every evening at 6:30 they have a arts festival called Sunset Celebration in Mallory Square. It's pretty cool cause at about 6:00 you can see all the people starting to gather. Everyone walks to this big area at the edge of the water to watch the sunset on the Gulf of Mexico. The evening consisted of street venders, street performers, food, a preacher guy yelling out all sorts of religious things, and a cross dresser psychic. What do you say when your kids are like, "Why is that man wearing so much makeup- and a dress?- and why can't I get my future told to me?"
Ummm, how about- "hey-anyone want a coconut?"

So here was a street vendor who cut open the coconuts right in front of us, then we drank the water right out of the top. It was interesting how each coconut tasted so different!

Rachie drinking coconut water.

Erica enjoying hers

Paul Ellie and Kyle drinking up! That stuff is good for you!

Kyle and Ellie

I had to explain to my kids that this is what a coconut looks like before it comes to the grocery store.

Darren and me:)

One of the street performers consisted of 2 hippies singing and dancing. While they weren't that great their dog was. He would come get your dollar and...

Take your money

and drop it in their bucket. It was hilarious! Our kids loved it!

One of the street performers wanted a kid as a volunteer- so Paul volunteered!

Paul had to throw his juggling clubs up to him while he was on a unicycle. Paul did a great job and the guy caught all of them!


Paul got a dollar for volunteering. After the show Paul put the dollar in the guys hat.

Paul taking a bow after the show.

Rachie and Erica looking beautiful in front of the sunset.

ok, so as we were leaving this street performer, Dr. Juice, asked us to please stay and watch his show. We said sure and sat down. For the next half hour we sat while he tried to get other people to sit down so he could start his show. He was getting so mad at the people who wouldn't stay we didn't dare leave till after the show! So, finally he got on with it, did 3 tricks in his half hour show. I was going crazy from boredom. But my kids LOVED it! It was their favorite of the night. At least it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Here he is with a volunteer from the audience he called "Germany"- cause he was from Germany. This guy could have been a movie star!

One day we did a 2 stop snorkeling tour. I love snorkeling! It is one of my very favorite things to do. It is like visiting a different world!

Erica looking beautiful!

Ellie and Erica enjoying the wind in their hair.




Being goofy and having so much fun!


I have no idea what Rachie is doing in this picture- holding on for dear life maybe??

Paul and Annie (Erica) getting ready to go snorkeling! All my kids were big enough to snorkel. Darren had practiced with them in the pool before hand- so they were all really excited. We did a 2 stop snorkel tour.

Ellie getting ready to go!

Kyle ready to go! It was awesome- we put each child with an adult. The kids did great for the most part- however there were a LOT of jellyfish in the water. Ellie kind of freaked out and wanted to go back to the boat. I was mean and flat out told her no way. I held her close and pointed out all the incredible things to see in the water (while I kept a crazy eye out for Jellies). After about 20 min in the water she started to feel a little more comfortable. When we got back to the boat there was a poor girl there who got plastered by a jelly fish- she was crying and was red ALL over the front of her. I felt so bad for her- and her poor parents who had spent the whole time trying to comfort her.

Me and baby Gabe. This was right before the 2nd stop. This stop had HUNDREDS of Jellyfish. As I was trying to convince Ellie it was fine and to get in the water with me all these people kept coming out of the water saying they had been stung. After Kyle and Paul got stung I gave up and went in by myself while the crew watched my kids. It was like a crazy obstacle course! I felt like I was being surrounded by Jellyfish! I strategically swam through the mass of jellies and made it to the coral reef. It was incredible! I was just starting to get a good look when the boat blew it's horn for us to come back. Everyone had gone back to the boat except Darren, Rachie, Erica and I. Babies. I was disappointed we had to go back early, but the 5 min in that reef were incredible.
The jellyfish that we saw the most of were Moon Jellyfish. They didn't have super long tenticles so it wasn't to freaky.
Here's a picture I found on the internet just so you can picture yourself there.

We spent some time walking down the streets sightseeing and going into tourists shops. Kyle tried on this fun hat and looked so cute!


Rachael, Erica and Paul checking out the street shops.

Ellie and Kyle just being cute.


Erica, Rachael, Me, Kyle, Paul and Ellie having a fun time.

Our family- the huge thing says it all


Kyle and Paul looking in the water when all of a sudden we see this thing swim by...

You can't tell from the picture, but that fish was HUGE! I mean, like about 6-7 feet long huge!

So, one trick to eating cheaply is to go to a Thai restaurant. They always have huge servings. You can get a couple of dishes and all share. So that's what we did, my kids loved it.

So, if you hang out with Erica and Rachie you are going to end up with a nick name. I will give you the lowdown on everyone's nicknames in case I have confused anyone. Darren is D-money, they have called him that since high school- not sure why, I guess it just sounded cool. I am Tempest- as a joke because I rarely get mad, Paul is Buddy. Ellie is Elf, or Smurf. Kyle is Mr. Kykie, not sure where that came from. Rachael is Rachie or Chickie I think because she likes chickens. Erica is Annie because that is what Paul called her when he was a baby. It's so fun to hang out with Darren's sisters.

More picts at dinner

Darren and I just hanging out- and I usually don't sit on him. I feel like it looks like I am going to crush him! It's the baby's fault!
No comments:
Post a Comment