Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Planter- before & after

So I am feeling more of myself lately. So I am back to lots of ideas and projects. And yea, I know it's fall- not spring. But I was sick all summer, and I did this fun project this spring that I wanted to share. Plus- who doesn't love before and afters?
Ok, so I needed some planters to plant some herbs on my back porch. I really didn't want to pay 20 bucks a pot, and when planting stuff in pots it is always best to make the pots are as big as possible. They dry out less quickly, and the plants just seem to do better.
So I got this beauty off the side of the road in a garbage pile. Perfect for my herb Garden! This is actually a metal storage cabinet I'm sure someone used in their garage or something.

I loved how it had compartments so I could plant a different herb in each section.
So, first I took the door off. Then I laid it down to look more like a planter. Then I drilled lots and lots of holes in the bottom of it.



Then I spray painted it a fun blue color.


Then I cut off the bottom kick plate. I probably didn't have to do that, but I'm pretty picky.



There it is on the right. It worked so good and was lots of fun! The soil stayed moist a lot longer than my smaller pots.





From left to right, I planted Basil, Chives, Thyme, Oregano and Parsley. Plus some million bells in the front for color. And a bunch of sunflowers that I never planted! I had a bird feeder on the railing right above it and the seeds must have fallen in. They were fun and added some more color. All in one free container that didn't go to a landfill!

3 comments:

  1. That's absolutely genius. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, that's brilliant! and super cute. So good chatting with you the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! I am going to start scouring the streets for old metal cabinets now so I make a planter just like yours. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete