I thought I would show some of my art at the cabin for fun. I forgot about a lot of my other paintings up there- this is about 1/2 my stuff. I'll do it next year- or actually probably in 2 years. Anyways, here's a couple of pieces I did in High School.
 |
| This is actually one of my favorite paintings I have done. It is me as a little girl in Cooke City holding a frog! It is acrylic. The assignment was to paint something in 1 hour without a paint brush. So I did this with a palette knife (kinda like a mini spatula) in about an hour and a half. (it took me longer, what's new). Anyways, I think it turned out great. I think sometimes, doing things faster, and being less fearful makes for better art. |
 |
| It's kinda hard to see with the glass's reflection. |
 |
| This is on paper called Scratch board. Basically it is white paper they cover in black. Then you take a sharp tool and scratch off the black to reveal the white underneath. It's hard to see the details, but this piece took me FOREVER!! It doesn't have a name, how about Pocahontas? |
 |
| This is one of my pots, that was actually in the Springville Museum of Art. This piece was hand built- not thrown on a wheel. It's a long process. I'll let another website explain how it is done- "The artist generally rolls the clay into long
thin rolls, then begins to "build" the piece by layering these rolls one
on top of the other. This hand coiled method includes smoothing the
coils by hand to the pottery's final shape. The artist then begins the
arduous task of polishing the piece. This is accomplished by rubbing a
smooth "polishing" stone over the piece over and over until the red clay
shines. Finally, the piece is fired in an "oxygen reduction" firing
process. During the firing, the artist smothers the fire with horse
manure. The manure traps a thick, carbon rich smoke all around the
piece. The carbon contained in the smoke fuses itself into the clay,
turning it black. This black color can never be removed or washed off.
The entire process is fraught with problems as about 3 of every 5 pieces
actually emerge from the fire without damage." In other words, this piece took me weeks- and I think it turned out beautiful. It actually won a Best of Show at my High School art show. | |
 |
| Another one of my pieces, also in the Springville Art Musuem. Built the same way- only instead of "burnishing" (rubbing it with a rock for 10 years) I painted it white and then painted over the white. |
 |
| This piece is a Batik. Which means it is a piece of fabric that I dipped in different colors of dye. It is really a fun thing to do, in fact maybe I should do one of these with my kids. |
 |
| A close up |
 |
| A little guy I also hand built and painted. |
I love your art! I have always especially liked the grizzly batik. I didn't know you made all that pottery! Thanks for the tour of your artworks. :)
ReplyDelete