Friday, October 3, 2014

A Step Back in Time

When we were kids, we went on all sorts of adventures as a family.  Whenever we would go somewhere with some history- my dad would say, "don't you wish you could stand here and rewind time, and watch it all happen?"  Well, that would get my little mind racing.  Everywhere we would go I would stand there and try and imagine the people, living their lives, and me watching.  I find it fascinating. Especially the Old West.  When I was little I always wished I had been born an Indian.
So when we went on a hike to Lady of The Lake, and took a new trail, I was so excited to come upon 3 old cabins. One of them, nothing was left except the foundation and the chimney.  It was a beautiful chimney, so pretty I wished I could build a new cabin up around it.  Below is the 2nd cabin. 

Laura, Marilyn, and me
Now look at this picture. I stood there and tried to visualize in my mind the people building it.  Was it a family? just a man? What year was it?  Did they own the land? Where did they live while they built it? How many people have stayed there since it was built? Obviously it has been updated.  Who put in that kitchen sink?  Was is some old hermit? And the bunk bed is newer- and has a snowmobile sticker on it, so some winters it probably housed some snowmobiles.  Then I visualize how cute I could make it.  Really, it's not in that bad of shape- it needs a good cleaning, and I would whitewash the walls and stain the floor.  Put up some cute curtains, paint that chair bright red, and it was would be a cute, fun little place to stay.
And under all that junk is a fun little wood burning stove in the corner.
I loved this map open on the counter.  I can just imagine someone standing there planning their next adventure- never to come back to this little cabin in the woods.
Well, on to the hike.  Darren was on an over-nighter hiking East Rosebud, so I carried Gabe. He was super cute.
Pictures never do the scenery justice. This field was full of beautiful bluebells. 

We had so many kids it took us forever to get there- about even though it was only about a mile hike. The kids got in the water for about 10 minutes and were ready to go home.
Look at my sweet little angel baby sleeping.
Kyle! My adventure guy.

When he woke up he was like- "where am I?"

Here is the third cabin.  Right by the cutest little stream.  Isn't that cute?  I felt like I was in Switzerland.
Me and Gabe selfies

Well, good by old cabin.  Thanks for the inspiration of a time gone by.
Who drove this car here? Why did they leave it?  When????????

No comments:

Post a Comment