Friday, October 3, 2014

Cooke City Activities

In Cooke City we have a saying, "Nothing to do, and not enough time to do it."  In a way it's true, you can sit around the cabin and read all day, or you can plan your day from sun-up to sun-down, and still have the same amount of fun.  The second day we were there it rained, and we stayed in our pajamas and read all day long.  And took naps- I think I counted 3 for Darren.  It was every bit as fun as the days we ride horses, hike, go to town, go off the rope swing, canoe, fish, hike to the frog pond, four wheel, watch the animals at the salt-lick, shoot guns, shoot bb's, fall a tree, chop firewood, have a picnic lunch at Daisy Pass, or backpack.  All of the which we did in the 2 weeks we were there.  One of my favorite things to do is simply sit around the fireplace at night visiting with my family drinking hot chocolate.  Topics include everything, but usually wind up at the End-Of-The World discussions.    
So here we are at the barn letting Gabe sit on a horse for his first time. He seemed to think it was nice but not nearly as fun as the 4 wheelers!

The horse was being hilarious and kept sticking his face in my camera.  He wanted his picture taken too!



One night Laura was supposed to get to the cabin late.  I went to bed and awoke at 1 am to hear a sound like someone knocking on the door.  I thought for sure one of Laura's kids had been locked out of the cabin on accident.  I went down stairs and looked around, when I opened the back door it was silent.  So I went back to bed, only to hear the loud scratching/tapping sound again.  This time I grabbed a flashlight.  I went back to the back door where I thought I heard the noise coming from.  When I opened the door- to my surprise, there was a big old porcupine staring at me! I was taken back- as I had actually almost walked outside first, before turning on my flashlight, boy I would have been in for an awful suprise if I had done that!  The sound was coming from him eating the wood- see that 1/2 eaten bird feeder? Yea.  I guess there must be something in the wood that tastes good to then.  Anyways, I watched this big guy for a while and took some pictures. Then I tried to go back to lovely sound of a porcupine gnawing away at our back porch.




Here is another popular activity at the cabin.  Falling dead trees on the property.  This one was pretty in it's own way- but still needed to be cut down because it was so close to the front room windows.   Darren and Gordon made short work of it. We had that thing down and cut into firewood in 1 day!



No comments:

Post a Comment