Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Backpacking

My two favorite thing on earth to do are 1. Backpack and 2. Snorkel.  I wish that everyone could get the opportunity to experience both.  I usually try to plan a backpacking trip each year in Cooke- but I was 8 months pregnant- so I planned one for Darren and the kids. Laura and Gordon were interested in going so I told Laura I would stay home and watch her 2 little ones, (Bridie and Eleanor) and she could go backpacking with Gordon and the older kids.  She said yes and Iwas so happy she was able to go with her family. 
This picture below is one of the most exciting things about a backpacking trip- getting ready!  Here they are all getting the final preparations done.  The most important thing of all- to make sure at least 2-3 people have bear mace.  Which they did actually pull out on this trip cause they saw a bear- but it headed the other direction so they didn't have to use it.  Thank goodness.


Here is my crew ready to go.  They were all so cute I had to get a bunch of pictures.





Here are all the kids.  Now, let me tell you something.  The hike these kids did was no joke.  It was a serious 6 miles, bushwhacking in tough country at an elevation of about 9,500 ft.  Some kids were in tears at the end, but they all did it!  I love to see my kids push themselves and do hard things.  I think it is so good for them to push their limits.  The week after my kids did this hike-with packs on, my brother Mark took some friends and did the same hike.  He did this hike with grown men, and they could BARELY do it- without packs!  When I say barely,  I mean, one of them collapsed, and Mark had to give him a blessing to give his legs strength to finish the hike.  He literally laid down and said he wouldn't hike any more.  Another one of them had to have help and be carried part of the way.  So when I say this is a serious hike, I mean it.  And all 3 of my kids did it, without complaining.  I was sooo proud of all of them.   Even crazier is what happened to Paul on the hike out.  I'll get to that later.



One good thing about going to a lake without a trail is that the fishing is great! Basically you catch a fish with every cast! The kids had a blast fishing to their hearts content. 
Now, below is a picture of Ellie with red duct tape.  When they were getting ready to go, I put duct tape around their water bottles.  It's a great backpacking trick I learned years ago and have used it so many times.  When they were setting up the tent there was a big rip in the tent fly! Oh no! But wait- mom put duct tape around our water bottles!  Yea! I saved the day, without even being there!  It ended up pouring rain on them, but they stayed dry thanks to the duct tape!  I also slipped in a couple of extra meals in Ellie's backpack- and told her not to tell Darren when till they got there.  They started cooking and one of the meals they didn't have the right stove to cook, so Ellie pulled out the extra meals I gave her.  Once again, mom saves the day!




Here are some fun pictures around camp.  It is so beautiful when you are up there. 





Bear scat full of berries.  It was everywhere!  And yes, they saw a bear.  Mark saw a bear too- with 2 cubs with his friends the next week.



More and more fishing.  Paul was in heaven!
























No comments:

Post a Comment