So, remember how I said Paul hurt his knee on the hike out? Well, he did, pretty bad. The group was hiking out from their backpacking trip. They were at the first big hill when Paul lost his footing and fell forward, down a steep hill, covered with boulders, with a big backpack on. His knee hit a rock and sliced clean open. Darren and Gordon were by his side within seconds. Darren is a Nurse Anesthetist, and Gordon is a Family Practice doctor- so he was in good hands. They worked quickly and efficiently and had his let wrapped up in a flash. The problem is, they were 6 miles from any sort of car, or phone. So Darren took Paul's backpack and they helped him hobble down. They had some pain meds they gave him, and he was able to walk the 6 miles out with his knee looking like the photo below. I am so proud of him for being so brave. He didn't complain once. Actually I'm proud of everyone there- they all helped carry Paul's backpack. They came together and were strong and helpful. Darren sent Ellie, Matthew and Isaac down in front of the group to come to the cabin and get me so I could be at the trail head waiting with the car to take him to the emergency room in Cody. A 2 hour drive.
Gordon actually had a suture kit- but said this was way to big of a deal to be stitched up at the cabin. It needed to be washed and cleaned out at a hospital and have an orthopedic surgeon look at it and inspect it to make sure no ligaments or tendons were torn. Then it needed 2 layers of stitches. Which is pretty much what happened. Everything looked good as far as tendons and ligaments went. He ended up with 10 stitches underneath and 6 stitches on top. It was a painful experience. I wasn't crazy about the ER doc, as he pretty much was a robot and had no sympathy. Jaded. It was really hard to watch as a mom. I was glad Darren was there. It was such a relief to have it all over.











He had to wear this leg brace for 10 days after to make sure he didn't bend his knee and rip out stitches. He also missed Scout camp the next week. We are grateful the whole thing is over. It now is just a really cool story to tell. I was so impressed with his bravery throughout the whole incidence. Way to go Paul!
Paul is so brave! And Darren too! I love all these pictures from Cooke- it's getting me so excited to go up this year! --Athena
ReplyDelete